data center

Data center 2025: capacity and efficiency

Emerson Network Power, a company dedicated to maximizing availability, capacity and efficiency of critical infrastructure, today released “The data center 2025: exploring the possibilities”, a report farsighted summarizing four months of global research designed to identify the vision of the data center industry in 2025. the results include everything from the expected increase in the use of the cloud to the ambitious data centers powered largely by solar energy with power densities exceeding 50 kW per rack. And if one thing is clear is that most experts believe the data center as we know it today, will experience profound changes over the next decade.

More than 800 data center professionals worldwide responded to the survey report, “The 2025 data center,” while many others contributed their ideas through interviews, email and video. Comments, taken together, indicate that most professionals remain optimistic about the sector data centers and continued innovation in the IT space. For example, on average, experts predict that by 2025 will increase the density to 52 kW per rack. According to the Data Center Users’ Group ™ sponsored by Emerson Network Power, the average density has remained relatively flat since reaching the peak of 6 kW nearly a decade ago, but professionals anticipate a dramatic increase in density that could radically change the physical environment of the data center.

“We started the initiative The data center 2025 with a sincere desire to discover what our customers, partners, colleagues and others involved in the community of data centers believed that the future would bring to this sector,” said Steve Hassell, president of data center solutions from Emerson Network Power. “We focused research with an open mind, no expectations or preconceived notions about what we would find. The results reflect a sophisticated level of understanding, visionary thinking and genuine optimism that I found inspiring. I think the real impact of this report lies not only in its measurement of the current opinion, but in its ability to cause future innovation “Other results of the survey and forecast report highlights are:

Major changes in power supplies for data centers: Experts believe that a mixture of sources will be used to provide power to data centers. Solar energy will be the main, followed by a mix almost as nuclear energy, wind and natural gas. 65% likely that Hyperscale facilities are fed by private power generation.

Forecasts of the cloud are to some extent conservative: Industry experts predict that two-thirds of calculating data centers will be cloud in 2025. This is actually a fairly conservative estimate. According to the Global Cloud Index (Global Cloud Index) Cisco workloads in the cloud they represent about 46% of workloads total data centers, and reach 63% by 2017.

DCIM play an important role: 29% of professionals anticipates a comprehensive visibility into all systems and layers, while 43% expect that data centers are repaired and are optimized for themselves. If we combine this data, 72% of experts believe that some level of DCIM be deployed in 2025, significantly higher than current estimates of the adoption of DCIM percentage.

Utilization rates will be higher: It is expected that this increased visibility leads to more efficient overall performance, since 72% of industry experts expect utilization rates of IT resources are at least 60% by 2025. the average projection is 70%. This highlights compared to the estimated half today, moving between a mere 6 and 12%, whereas if best practices are applied range between 30 and 50%.

“The 2025 data center certainly will not be a data center. I like to use the analogy with transport, “said Andy Lawrence, vice president of data center technologies and eco-efficient IT 451 Research. “On the road, we see sports cars and family, buses and trucks. We have different types of engines, different types of seats and different characteristics in terms of energy consumption and reliability. Let’s see something similar to that in the world of data centers. In fact, it is already happening and I hope it continues. “

, , , , , ,

Leave A Reply

Top